Job Title: Assistant Venue Manager
Reports To: Venue Manager
Location: Glee Club, Hurst St, Birmingham B5 4TD
Salary £23-27k pa - dependent on experience and suitability for role.
Bonus scheme available after 1 years’ service - dependant on performance.
This role is on a full-time contract of up to 48 hours per week, subject to successful completion of a 6 month probationary period (please note weekly hours will fluctuate seasonally with demand).
28 days annual leave per year - none to be taken in late November or December.
Summary of position and key attributes
The Assistant Venue Manager is a broad and varied role that shapes and supports all aspects of our live event operation. As a keyholder, and the line manager to the Heads of our bar, floor, kitchen, box office and technical departments you will be managing everything on an event day, and meeting the needs of the touring party, promoter, venue staff and contractors. When the doors open you are the Duty Manager, and face of the venue of our customers, all while ensuring revenue targets are met and the experience is the safest it can possibly be.
The ideal candidate would have previous experience in a supervisor or management position in a live entertainment venue, or a bar and restaurant environment, with a history of driving revenues and improving the customer experience. They would be a strong problem solver who can think clearly and calmly on their feet and under pressure, as well as being a people manager who can assess our staff analytically, talk to them with understanding and motivate them effectively. A passion for live comedy and prior knowledge of the UK comedy industry would also be beneficial,
but not essential.
Main objectives of the role
- As the Duty Manager you will always have one eye on the operation of our event nights, ensuring standards of customer service, bar and food spends are as high as possible, without compromising on safety or the quality of the event we are hosting.
- Similarly, working alongside the Heads of Department, you will collaborate with them and research ways to improve our operations, our revenue streams and our safety record.
- One of the most important functions is to write the weekly rota for all our casual staff, which is a careful balancing act of different types of shows, audience profiles, opening and close times, staff availability that requires attention to detail.
- As the Assistant Manager, cost control across the business is a vital function of your role. Through control of the rotas you will especially manage our expenditure on wages, but you are encouraged to seek opportunities to make savings in any and every area you feel possible.
- Once established in the role, you will be a trusted and respected manager to all our staff, who can correctly identify the right time to intervene and when to let the staff work under their initiative. You will also be an early point of contact for any ideas or concerns they may have.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Duty Management of events, including working alongside all stakeholders, to deliver each event to the satisfaction of the promoter, our customers, police licencing and the venue owner.
• Being responsible for planning and scheduling staff on multiple-show nights and ensuring the venue operation is efficient and effective in such circumstances.
• Line management of heads of departments – bar / floor / kitchen / tech / security & box office.
• Writing rotas and deployment of staff for event shifts, in line with agreed budgets and expenditures.
• Helping to forecast sales revenue on a weekly basis.
• Completing and submitting accurate wage and payroll entries.
• Checking deliveries into the club and inputting them onto relevant systems.
• Recruitment and training of casual staff.
• Responding to customer feedback and complaints.
• On the instruction of the ‘DPS’ to act as ‘licensee’ to the building and on these occasions to ensure that the venue operates in accordance with its legal responsibilities.
• Working to agreed operational and H&S procedures and being responsible for our operation meeting these standards during event hours.
• To co-ordinate and implement with the Marketing Department all internal / external marketing of all events to include the planning and placement of local advertising if required.
• Working with the Venue Manager & the Operations Director to continually improve and develop systems.
Desired Skills and Qualifications
• Personal Licence holder
• Education to degree level
• History of people management
• Good verbal communicator
• Attention to detail
• Experience in dealing with the general public
• Sound decision making /problem-solving / information processing ability
• Ability to drive sales
About The Venue
Glee Birmingham is a multi-venue, multi-bar operation with 3 distinct spaces. Our main room has a capacity of 400 seated/600 standing, and is open every Thursday, Friday and Saturday for our weekly comedy nights, as well as being available to hire to some of biggest names in comedy, music, drag, cabaret and spoken word. The studio is a smaller space for 150 seated, and is regularly hired for shows by upcoming musicians and comedians, often for their first solo toured shows. The downstairs Lounge Bar is our third space and is a room with potential for growth in the coming years, as well as continuing to provide a meeting space for our customers before they attend our shows.
How to Apply
Apply here by emailing a cover letter & CV. Closing date midday Mon 31st May 2021.