Jobs at the glee clubs
Looking for jobs? Why do a boring job when you can work at the UK’s best comedy and live music venues?! Here are our current vacancies.
Kitchen Manager / Chef
Location: Glasgow City Centre
Term: Part-time. 2-3 days per week averaging 15-20 hours. Must be available Friday & Saturday evenings.
Wage: Starting rate £9 per hour (Zero hour contract with 3 months probation)
We are looking someone who is vibrant, passionate about the food they cook and able to work well under pressure. You must have previous experience as a chef and experience leading a team. Our close, and welcoming team is focused on providing excellent service to our customers.
We're a different type of operation to your standard kitchen. Ours is similar to a pre-theatre dining experience. Service is short, typically 2 hours. The team typically consists of 2-3 chefs who produce a range of good quality dishes for 50-400 customers of whom 25-50% typically order food. It's a "main course" only menu with occasional desserts. Kitchen staff are typically packed up, cleaned down and out of the building by around 10pm.
Our menu is fixed and has minor changes seasonally in order to keep things consistent and quick to produce, as well as offering some variety. The menu is not heavy on pan cooking. There are occasional specials, so there is room for a little creativity too. We do a certain amount of corporate bookings which need bespoke menus.
A festive menu takes the place of our annual menu. It consists of streamlined multiple pre-ordered hot and cold courses.
Christmas Party Shows run over approx 10 nights during December (Thurs / Fri / Sat)
We are closed Xmas Eve, Xmas Day. Boxing Day and New Year’s Day, but we expect the successful candidate to work every day we open in December (including New Year’s Eve).
Variable. Typically it will average out to 15 per week. More during season, (October to May), less out of season (June - September). This is a somewhat seasonal Job as we only open the venue if there is a show on.
Friday and Saturday night shows run all year around. The summer months are quiet which is great for chefs with kids. During peak seasons we work until the job is done, the balance comes in summer when we enjoy the weather and down time.
- To ensure that legal and company requirements are adhered to in respect of Hygiene, Health & Safety, Employment Law, and Food Safety Law for all staff, visitors and customer
- Stock ordering and control
- HACCP implementation
- Maintaining high standards of cleanliness throughout kitchen areas. Our other clubs have 5 star ratings and there is no reason why we should be any different.
- Planning and costing of menus
- Correct portion and wastage control
- Team management skills
- Training and progression of Junior kitchen team members
- Seek to optimise the food revenue potential from each show and each customer visiting the venue
- Minimise staff costs while maintaining customer satisfaction and minimising send-backs, delays and complaints.
- Maintain or exceed target profit margins. Target food GP is 60% (65% in December).
- Maintain accurate staffing records in accordance with company procedures.
- Keep accurate time sheets and assist with the payment of wages in accordance with company policy.
- Ensure the quality of the customers and acts experience food service is maintained and where possible improved.
- Keep abreast of and implement current and new health and safety legislation, hygiene policies and food service best practice. Ensure your team implement good practice
- Ensure your staff are adequately trained and initiate training programmes where necessary. Assist with any training need identified.
- Maintain acceptable hygiene records, procedures and pass all relevant inspections.
- Implement appropriate cleaning (inc. deep clean) measures.
- Lead, inspire and coordinate your team.
- Ensure that you and your team provide a consistently high quality product in a time frame acceptable to the company and the customer.
- Inform the venue manager of any issues within your team that may require disciplinary action to be taken in line with current legislation and company policy.
- Develop a close working relationship with the floor manager and team to ensure products are delivered as smoothly and swiftly to the customers.
- Provide department rotas that meet with staffing target
- Hard working and enthusiastic individual who demonstrates real passion for food
- Self-motivated and able to work under pressure
- Flexible, adaptable and a good team worker
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- Computer literate and a working knowledge of office applications
- Must have a Level 3 Food Hygiene Training and Certificate, 706/2 or NVQ2 chef qualification, or equivalent.
- Candidates must have a background in food prep / management and had previous supervisory experience in this sector, references will be required from two previous employers.
Application is by CV and covering letter to email@example.com
Bar team jobs
The Glee Club bars are a fast-paced working environment and we’re often looking for experienced bartenders to join our Bar Teams in Glasgow, Birmingham, Cardiff and Nottingham. Because our service is based on an interval model for most shows it is essential that candidates can show that they have experience in a comparable fast-paced, high-volume environment.
Friday and Saturday night availability is essential.
Starting rate £8 per hour. In addition, we offer a unique bonus scheme that can see the hourly rate rise to either £8.75, £9.50 or £10.25 depending on productivity for the night.
Floor team jobs
Great service is a massive part of The Glee Club experience, and at the very core of this are our Floor Teams. Waiting and/or ushering experience is preferable but not essential. All candidates must, however, be able to show that they can provide outstanding service in a hospitality or retail environment and have the personality and charisma to greet our customers the Glee way.
Positions are available periodically in Glasgow, Birmingham, Cardiff and Nottingham.
Friday and Saturday night availability is essential. Please note that this role requires lifting and moving of furniture.
Starting rate £8 per hour. In addition, we offer a unique bonus scheme that can see the hourly rate rise to either £8.50 or £9.00 depending on productivity for the night.
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT A GLEE
You get to see plenty of top comedy, music and entertainment whilst getting paid (some comedy names you will see on stage now started out in jobs behind our bars or on our floors!).
You need to be 18+ to work with us, but the good news is, we believe you should be paid the rate of £8 p/h, even if you are under 25 (unless position is salaried). Starting rate £8 per hour. We also offer a unique bonus scheme that can see the hourly rate rise to either £8.75, £9.50 or £10.25 depending on productivity for the night.
Many recognisable names pass through our doors, some of which you may well get to meet.
We pride ourselves on having friendly, helpful staff, so you will be working as part of a great team.
It's a unique place to work, ideal for students or just fans of live comedy, music, events & event management.
is this for you? then apply!
For Glasgow positions apply here attaching your CV, stating the position you are applying for in the subject line.
For Birmingham positions apply here attaching your CV, stating the position you are applying for in the subject line.
For Cardiff positions apply here attaching your CV, stating the position you are applying for in the subject line.
For Nottingham positions apply here attaching your CV, stating the position you are applying for in the subject line.
Please note that, due to the event-led nature of the business, most jobs are offered on a part-time or zero-hours basis.